Presumptive Eligibility for Pregnant Women (PE4PW) Flexibilities due to COVID-19
April 2, 2020
Due to the ongoing Public Health Crisis, DHCS is approving immediate enrollment flexibilities for PE providers to limit potential exposure to COVID-19.
Presumptive Eligibility for Pregnant Women (PE4PW) Qualified Providers can utilize telephonic signatures for PE4PW Applications, noting in the case file “COVID-19 protocol.” If the individual is not at the hospital and not experiencing an urgent prenatal care health event which requires immediate care, providers should suggest to the individual to apply online using the Covered CA portal at www.coveredca.com to establish ongoing eligibility for Medi-Cal or Covered California. Providers may also obtain an Authorized Representative form for the PE4PW applicant, allowing an individual acting on behalf of the applicant, to provide the required information to assist with the enrollment of the individual in PE4PW, thereby minimizing direct contact with the individual and promoting physical distancing.
In order to accept a telephonic signature, the following procedure must be followed:
- Read the consent language aloud to the individual/Authorized Representative as it is stated on the signature page of the PE4PW Application:
By signing, I declare that what I say below is true and correct.
Ask that the individual/Authorized Representative verbally acknowledge their consent.
In the signature line, type “Verbal consent – COVID-19.”
Be sure to document and keep documentation for all verbal consent obtained.
- I have read and understood this PE4PW Medi-Cal Application.
- The information I provided is true, correct, and complete.
- I understand that I must complete and submit the insurance affordability application by the end of my PE period in order to be eligible for continued coverage.
- I have received the insurance affordability application.
Questions concerning PE4PW Flexibilities should be sent to PE@dhcs.ca.gov.