Public Provider Ground Emergency Medical Transportation Intergovernmental Transfer Program
Originally published June 29, 2022
Updated May 17, 2023
The list of eligible providers for the Public Provider Ground Emergency Medical Transportation (PP-GEMT) Intergovernmental Transfer (IGT) has been updated.
On February 9, 2023, Medi-Cal announced the add-on reimbursement rates for the PP-GEMT IGT program effective January 1, 2023. For more information, refer to the “PP-GEMT IGT Program Reimbursement Rate Add-On” article.
In accordance with Assembly Bill (AB) 1705 (Chapter 544, Statues of 2019), the Department of Health Care Services (DHCS) is developing the Public Provider Ground Emergency Medical Transport (PP-GEMT) Intergovernmental Transfer Program (IGT) program to provide increased reimbursements, by application of an add-on increase, to emergency medical transports provided by eligible public GEMT providers. This program is set to launch January 1, 2023.
Providers are eligible to participate in the PP-GEMT IGT program if they meet all of the following criteria:
- Provide GEMT services to Medi-Cal beneficiaries,
- Are enrolled as a Medi-Cal provider for the period being claimed, and
- Are owned or operated by the state, a city, county, city and county, fire protection, special district, community services district, health care district, or a federally recognized Indian tribe.
In order to keep eligible providers informed of developments related to implementation of the program DHCS is working to develop a comprehensive Listserv email distribution. Please email AB1705@dhcs.ca.gov with the following information if your entity is interested in information related to the PP-GEMT IGT program for Calendar Year 2023:
- Legal name of participating entity
- All applicable email contacts (including titles)
- Any National Provider Identifiers (NPI) associated with your Funding Entity.
DHCS will be reaching out to providers that intend to participate in the PP-GEMT IGT program with additional information in the coming months inclusive of online training. In the interim, please visit the PP-GEMT IGT Program website (PPGEMTIGT (ca.gov)) to obtain more information. This webpage will be updated periodically as new information becomes available.