September 28, 2021
In order to prevent further spread of COVID-19 in adult and senior care facilities and in-home direct care settings, all workers in adult and senior care facilities and in-home direct care settings must be vaccinated by November 30, 2021, as required by the September 28, 2021, update to the Public Health Order issued by State Public Health Officer Tomás J. Aragón, MD, DrPH. Vaccination against COVID-19 is the most effective means of preventing infection with the COVID-19 virus, and subsequent transmission and outbreaks, in these high-risk settings.
With limited exceptions, the Public Health Order requires the following individuals – including workers who provide care to Medi-Cal beneficiaries– to have received the first dose of a one-dose vaccine regimen, or the second dose of a two-dose regimen, by November 30, 2021:
- All workers who provide services or work in Adult and Senior Care Facilities licensed by the California Department of Social Services.
- All in-home direct care services workers.
- All waiver personal care services (WPCS) providers, as defined by the California Department of Health Care Services, and in-home supportive services (IHSS) providers, as defined by the California Department of Social Services.
- All hospice workers who are providing services in the home or in a licensed facility.
- All regional center employees, as well as service provider workers, who provide services to a consumer through the network of Regional Centers serving individuals with developmental and intellectual disabilities.
The Public Health Order makes certain exceptions to the vaccine requirement noted above for workers who provide services to a single household. If a worker provides services across multiple households, the vaccination requirement applies.
Workers may be exempt from the vaccination requirement by providing a signed declination form for religious beliefs or qualifying medical reasons. The Public Health Order describes masking requirements and weekly COVID-19 testing requirements for workers who sign a declination form.
The vaccination requirement applies to all paid and unpaid individuals who work in indoor settings where (1) care is provided to individuals, or (2) persons in care have access for any purpose. The requirement also applies to persons not directly involved in providing care or services. Please review the Public Health Order for specific information.