Child Health and Disability Program (CHDP) Gateway Flexibilities due to COVID-19
Originally published April 2, 2020 and updated on April 15, 2020
Due to the ongoing response to coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19), the Department of Health Care Services (DHCS) is approving immediate enrollment flexibilities for Presumptive Eligibility (PE) providers to limit potential exposure to COVID-19.
CHDP Gateway Enrolling Providers can utilize telephonic signatures for CHDP Gateway Applications, noting in the case file “COVID-19 protocol.” If the individual is not at the provider’s office and is not experiencing an urgent health event which requires immediate care, providers should suggest to the individual to apply online using the Covered California portal at www.coveredca.com to establish ongoing eligibility for Medi-Cal or Covered California. Providers may also obtain an Authorized Representative form for the CHDP Gateway applicant, which allows an individual to act on behalf of the applicant and provide the required information to assist with the enrollment of the applicant in CHDP Gateway coverage, thereby minimizing direct contact with the individual and promoting physical distancing.
In order to accept a telephonic signature, the following procedure must be followed:
- Read the consent language, “By signing, I declare that what I say below is true and correct” aloud to the individual/Authorized Representative as it is stated on the signature page of the CHDP Gateway Application:
- I have read and understood this CHDP Gateway Application.
- The information I provided is true, correct, and complete.
- I understand that I must complete and submit the insurance affordability application by the end of my CHDP Gateway PE period in order to be eligible for continued coverage.
- I have received the insurance affordability application.
- Ask that the individual/Authorized Representative verbally acknowledge their consent.
- In the signature line, type “Verbal consent – COVID-19.”
- Be sure to document and keep documentation for all verbal consent obtained.
Questions concerning CHDP Gateway Flexibilities should be sent to Claudia Chavez at Claudia.Chavez@dhcs.ca.gov.