Billing Tips: Treatment Authorization Requests
Helpful Hints for TAR Completion
- Submitting TARs
- Include the updated/correct NPI provider number, provider name and address
- Include correct beneficiary information
- Include correct “From/To” dates
- Include correct service/procedure codes
- Include correct ICD code
- Submitting Attachments by Mail for Paper TARs
- Include a TAR number on attachments that can be traced back to the TAR
- Submitting Correct or Update
- Indicate type of correction/update needed
- Providers should clearly specify what change(s) are being requested
- Responding to Deferred TARs
- Include Adjudication Response (AR) to deferred TAR and attachments
- Include the additional information the deferral requested
- Include the TAR Control Number with the TAR and attachments
- Submitting a TAR appeal
- Faxed appeals are not permitted and will be rejected.
- Follow the submission guidelines in the TAR: Submitting Appeals section in the appropriate part 2 provider manual.
- Include the original TAR number when submitting an appeal.
If you cannot view the MS Word or PDF (Portable Document Format) documents correctly, please visit the Web Tool Box
to link to a download site for the appropriate reader.