Billing Tips: Treatment Authorization Requests
Helpful Hints for TAR Completion
- Submitting TARs
- Include the updated/correct NPI provider number, provider name and address
- Include correct beneficiary information
- Include correct “From/To” dates
- Include correct service/procedure codes
- Include correct ICD code
- Submitting Attachments by Mail for Paper TARs
- Include a TAR number on attachments that can be traced back to the TAR
- Submitting Correct or Update
- Indicate type of correction/update needed
- Providers should clearly specify what change(s) are being requested
- Responding to Deferred TARs
- Include Adjudication Response (AR) to deferred TAR and attachments
- Include the additional information the deferral requested
- Include the TAR Control Number with the TAR and attachments
- Submitting a TAR appeal
- Faxed appeals are not permitted and will be rejected.
- Follow the submission guidelines in the TAR: Submitting Appeals section in the appropriate part 2 provider manual.
- Include the original TAR number when submitting an appeal.
Download PDF (Portable Document Format) reader from the Web Tool Box