- CMS Announcements
- Applying for NPI
- Registration Instructions
- Billing Tips
- Taxonomy Help
- Previous Articles
- Register/Update/Inquire NPIs
- HIPAA 5010/D.0 ICD-10
- Affordable Care Act (ACA)
- Beneficiary News
- Billing Tips
- Claim Form Updates
- CMC Submission
- Contract Drug List
- DUR Main Menu
- EPC Letters
- Fraud and Abuse
- Medi-Cal Comment Forum
- Medi-Cal Rates
- Medical Supplies Billing Requirements
- Medi-Cal & Telehealth
- Office of Health Information Technology
- P/DCL List
- Provider Enrollment
- Provider-Preventable Conditions
- Related Sites
- Suspended and Ineligible Provider List
- Technical Publications
- User Guides
NPI: Registration Instructions
The National Provider Identifier Collection (NPIC) online system allows Medi-Cal and Child Health and Disability Prevention (CHDP) providers to register one NPI for each active Medi-Cal/CHDP provider number currently enrolled and authorize the updating of their existing agreements with the new NPI information.
Steps for Registering an NPI:
1. Apply for an NPI with NPPES.
2. Register the NPI with Medi-Cal/CHDP.
In order to register, a provider must have the following:
- Current Medi-Cal/CHDP provider number.
- PIN (Provider Identification Number) or last 4 digits of SSN (Social Security Number) or last 4 digits of TIN (Taxpayer Identification Number).
- The NPI assigned by the National Plan and Provider Enumeration System (NPPES).
- The taxonomy code(s) the provider listed on the NPI application to NPPES.
- The Medicare NPIs if the provider has Medicare provider number(s).
- The Non-Physician Medical Practitioner (NMP) NPIs if the provider has NMPs.
The provider will also have the opportunity to authorize the updating of their existing agreements with the new NPI information.
For additional questions regarding NPI, contact the Telephone Service Center (TSC) at 1-800-541-5555, select language preference (option 11 for English; option 12 for Spanish), select option 16 from the main menu, then select option 18 from the sub menu.