- Affordable Care Act (ACA)
- Beneficiary News
- Billing Tips
- Claim Form Updates
- CMC Submission
- Contract Drug List
- DUR Main Menu
- EPC Letters
- Fraud and Abuse
- LTC Rates Schedule
- Medi-Cal Comment Forum
- Medi-Cal Rates
- Medical Supplies Billing Requirements
- Medi-Cal & Telehealth
- Office of Health Information Technology
- Ordering, Referring and Prescribing (ORP)
- P/DCL List
- Provider Enrollment
- Provider-Preventable Conditions
- Quality and Accountability Supplemental Payment (QASP) Program
- Related Sites
- Suspended and Ineligible Provider List
- System Replacement Archives
- Technical Publications
- User Guides
NPI: CMS Announcements
Maintain NPPES Data for Accessibility and Security
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) encourages all Medicare or health care providers, physicians and non-physician practitioners that have obtained a National Provider Identifier (NPI) and have information on record with the National Plan and Provider Enumeration System (NPPES) to keep track of all NPI-related NPPES data in order to maintain access and security. CMS reminds providers to monitor and update the following NPPES data as often as necessary:
- Providers should know and maintain their NPPES User IDs and passwords.
- Providers should reset their NPPES passwords annually. Providers can review the NPI Registration Help/Reset Password page of the NPPES Web site for guidelines about the specific requirements for password resets.
- Providers should regularly review their specific NPPES records to ensure the information is accurate.
Medicare or health care providers, physicians and non-physician practitioners can review their NPPES data using the following methods:
- Providers can access the Login to NPI page on the NPPES Web site. The user will be prompted to enter a User ID and password in order to view or update their NPPES data.
- Providers can also access the NPI Registry page on the NPPES Web site by clicking the links for “Individual Providers” or “Organizational Providers” to review NPPES data that was made available for review by the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA). Providers can search for its information using the individual’s name, organization’s name or NPI as the criterion.
If a provider forgets a password, they should click the “Login” link on the NPI page of the NPPES Web site, then click the “Reset Forgotten Password” button and then follow the steps to reset the password. Providers are reminded that an incorrect User ID and/or password entered three times will disable the user's account. If an account becomes disabled, the provider should contact the NPI Enumerator at 1-800-465-3203 for assistance.
Updating NPPES Data
Medicare or health care providers, physicians and non-physician practitioners can update their NPPES data by accessing the Login to NPI page on the NPPES Web site. The user will be prompted to enter the User ID and password prior to updating any data. Providers may not be able to update or delete certain types of data from NPPES records online. Any NPPES data that can’t be changed/updated online requires the submission of a National Provider Identifier (NPI) Application/Update Form (CMS 10114) should be sent to the NPI Enumerator at the following address:
P.O. Box 6059
Fargo, ND 58108-6059